July 23, 2007

El Diablo a.k.a. The Tour de France Devil

The Tour has entered the Pyrenees and so to has the Tour de France Devil. It seems as long as I can remember reading and watching the Tour, I would see pictures of El Diablo on the side of the most grueling roads in the race.

Honestly, I thought it was a great costume and an obvious way to be recognized in the crowd, but in the back of my head I thought the guy was a bit cuckoo. That is until recently when I heard Bob Roll speak of him.

According to Bob, the devil will appear, jeer, and cheer the riders at the toughest point of the hardest climb. Brilliant!

I'm hoping that is true, because if it is, this guy just gained a whole lot of respect from me. He does have a method to his madness.

If you look in the picture, you'll notice he also has a hell of a vertical for an old guy!

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher