April 4, 2007

What good is having a tree if it doesn't offer shade...

This past week the neighborhood sidewalks have been worked on by teams of workers. Teams ripping out old sidewalk and making new sidewalk. Our sidewalk isn't the only one being replaced. It appears the winter has been hard on a lot of the neighborhood sidewalks and I'd guess that about 10% of the neighborhood sidewalks are being replaced. That means that a lot of houses have teams of workers in front of their house.

Interestingly, at lunch time, the teams come to our front yard to eat. I know some of my neighbors and I know they would throw their nose in the air and ask why those dirty workers were eating in their front yard. However, I have a different outlook. I'm of the thinking that a tree that is only looked at is a lonely tree.

We have a great big tree in our front yard, surrounded by red mulch, and trimmed with sandstone. It looks great! Maybe it is the rock trim that offers them a nice place to sit. Maybe it is the large tree that offers them some shade from the sun. Maybe the hours of work I've put into the yard has made it look nicer and more inviting.

I'm not sure what the motivation is for them, but I'm proud that they have chosen my front yard to hang out in. For some reason my front yard is comfortable. And making others feel comfortable, whether inside or out, is what makes a great home.

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher