August 24, 2009

I Had To Give Sky Skiing A Try

This past weekend was spent doing something I've never done in my life... sky skiing. How is the best way to explain what sky skiing is? Um, it is like sitting on a stool, which is balancing on a 3 foot post, while getting pulled 30 mph through the water. Yeah, that about sums it up. For those who can read the above sentence and think, "Yeah, that is easy," I assure you, it isn't!

If you do it right, it does look very easy. For instance, my friends wife, Jodi (above) just skied and made it look relaxing... This is cool.

Then my friend, Terry took it to the next level. Again... Making it look easy. This is even cooler.

We had two boats out on the water. These pictures blow my mind. I snapped these pictures of Rick, who was landing barrel rolls, back-flips, and even trying front flips. These pictures are unbelievable...

I think everyone is familiar with a simple machine called a lever. Well, when you are out of the water and gliding the contact point with the water is at the hydrofoil. If you make a wrong move the hydrofoil will dive down while the boat pulls you forward, turning you into a powerful lever. A lever that puts the brunt of the impact on your head. This is a lesson I learned very well as I had several high speed impacts as a result of that powerful lever doing just as I explained.

Today I am a bit in the hurt locker. Between the high speed water impacts and the amount of strength it took to tow my huge ass through the water, my body is sore and my muscles ache. But man, was it fun!!!

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher