November 26, 2007

The Grinch

So I live in a neighborhood that has a lot of teenagers, many of whom can't drive yet. So the cool thing to do for these kids is to walk the neighborhood in the middle of the night. Often times that leads to kids becoming bored and what do kids do when they get bored? They break stuff, paint stuff, and have a general disregard for other people's personal property.

Earlier this year my back fence was painted with all types of foul language, which I spent the following day removing with a power washer. I've been lucky as others in my neighborhood have had their house broken into and far worse done.

The reason I bring this up is because a neighbor friend of mine recently decorated his house and his yard with Christmas decorations. Unfortunately the warmer November weather of this year is drastically different than the cold weather of last year. Without the snow and the cold, those same troublesome kids are out and about, and causing trouble.

I just heard through the grape vine that my friends house was recently vandalized in the middle of the night. In a very Grinch like act, several teens took a baseball bat to several of his lawn decorations and wire cutters were used to cut through several of the LED strings of lights. Roughly one hundred dollars worth of damage was done. Believe me it could have been a lot worse, but the act is no less than a stab in the back of the holiday spirit.

I have a yard display that spent a great deal of time with over the weekend and I know I would be very upset if a couple teens with no respect for personal property, or more importantly the holiday season, use my yard display to vent their frustrations with being bored.

However, I won't let the Grinch steal Christmas from me. In the back of my head I feel as though I will be posting about this subject again, only next time my yard will be the focus of the post. None the less, if the cords are snipped and the decorations beaten, they are after all only the peripheral of what this holiday season is about. I'll be pissed and I won't likely replace them, but like the Who's, I will still celebrate the season fully!!!

In the meantime, a baseball bat resides next to my door...

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher