April 30, 2008

The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt

I've been wrenching on bikes as long as I've been riding and the only part that I never touched was the bicycle wheel.

The bicycle wheel is a truly magnificent piece of equipment that happens to be a black hole of mystery for me and many others cyclists. This mystery seems to be getting more and more mysterious as the trend is to buy
pre-built wheels, which are strong and often times cheaper. The down side is you are confined to the trends of the market with pre-built wheels and don't get the satisfaction, pride, and personalization that building your own wheels give you.

Determined to shed light on the black hole of wheel building mystery I decided to learn how to build my own wheel, even if it cost me twice as much as a
pre-built wheel. To do this I turned to the web to find a good (highly recommended) book. All reviews pointed me to a book called The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt.

I spent a week reading this book before starting my quest for parts. Just reading this book shed a ton of light on the subject. It is amazing how misunderstood the bicycle wheel really is. In his book,
Jobst Brandt, does a great job of debunking a lot of the bicycle wheel lore. He does this by clearly explaining the Theory of the Spoked Wheel with words and picture diagrams. After explaining the wheel he then goes into detail on how to build and repair bicycle wheels, which was clear enough to actually guide me through building my first wheel. Later in the book he gives examples of equations to prove his wheel theory.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in building their first wheel. This is becoming a big interest of mine and you can expect a lot of posts about this in the future.

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher