April 28, 2008

Hike Jargon: Post Hole

It is always fun to learn new terms. It is always a lot more fun when you are able to demonstrate those terms so others who are unfamiliar with it are able to understand.

During a recent hike was able to start without snowshoes because the previous night was cold enough to freeze the top layer of snow, making it strong enough to support my weight. However, there were spots that were unable to support my weight and as I stepped on the snow I sunk several feet into the snow like an anchor in water.

When it got to a point when each step I took had a better chance of falling through rather than staying on top of the snow I stopped to put my snowshoes on. As I did this another pair of hikers came up. As we chatted I explained how I had been falling through a lot and it was time for my snowshoes. The guy responded, "Yeah, I saw a lot of post holes back there and figured you would need them soon."

At first I thought, "Is he a fence builder? Why does he care about post holes?" Then I realized he meant the holes I had left behind while falling through the snow. Each time my foot fell through I left a perfectly circular hole about three feet deep. It all made sense to me... a post hole.

And to demonstrate this point I was able to capture a couple pictures of my buddy Dwight in the act of creating a post hole.

Notice how he is standing on the snow? Dwight isn't a short guy. He has about three feet of leg above the snow at this point.



Post Hole! His entire right leg has sunk into the snow. You can see the tread on his left shoe. This isn't comfortable to experience and it can quickly sap your motivation, energy, and easily injure your ankle, knee, or both.

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher