December 20, 2007

The Brain: Friend or Foe?

While driving home yesterday a spotted a young girl on the side of the road. I didn't think anything of it as my headlights illuminated her, until she raised her thumb. I was pretty shocked. Here is a young girl, in the dark, hitching a ride from strangers. I pulled over.

I was ready to drive her back to her place and lecturing her on the dangers of hitch hiking. When I got to her place I intended to let her parents know what she was doing. However, that all changed as she approached my vehicle.

Instead of seeing the ignorant little girl, I saw a girl who was sobbing tears and obviously in a state of panic. I quickly shook off my parenting mode and asked what was wrong and how I could help.

She stated how she was trying to find her way home, but got lost and couldn't figure out how to get home. At that moment I totally understood how she felt.

Several years ago while hiking on a mountain trail I came to a point where the trail became obstructed by deep snow. I continued hiking on top of the snow for several hundred feet. I turned around to try and locate where the trail was when I became disoriented in the trees. At that moment I had a surge of adrenaline that effected my thinking.

The mind is a powerful tool that can be a person's biggest asset. At this particular time; it was my biggest adversary . As I frantically scanned for the trail, the adrenaline continued to flow, the panic increased, and an irrational fear began to take over.

This happened to me as an adult when I was only a couple hundred feet from a trail. Fortunately, I was able to harness my thoughts and was prepared with a map and a GPS. Within a couple minutes I was back on track.

When this same series of events happens to an undeveloped mind I can easily imagine why the little girl was in a state of panic. As she sat in my truck I could visibly see her fear decrease. She stopped crying and within a few minutes she was able to orient herself. Mind you, we hadn't driven anywhere yet. The difference was her mind was able to think clearly when she felt in control. It was amazing to see.

The good news is that we were able to find her home and she was a good distance from it. I drove away and today I'm still amazed at how the brain, which gives us our sense of reason is able to turn on us at times when we need reason most of all.

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher