December 7, 2007

Terrain View on GPS Maps!

A couple days ago I wrote about how much I loved the new Terrain view offered by Google, but I misspoke when I thought the view wasn't yet integrated into the Google Maps API.

A simple comment posted by Pamela Fox revealed a single line of code needed to implement the Terrain view on my GPS Maps.

5 minutes later (it took 4 minutes to login to my server) and the change was made, making all my maps in the GPS Maps section of TrailCentral default to the new Terrain view. It looks great! Thank you Pamela!!!

Check out some examples:
Monarch Crest - Multiuse Trail
14ers - Grays and Torreys Combo - Hiking Only

Update: For those that don't read the comments, I wanted to draw your attention to a good write-up ( v2.94: Terrain and a New MapTypeControl to show it off!) regarding the terrain view via Google Maps API, written by Pamela Fox.

2 comments:

Pamela Fox said...

You're welcome. :)

I just did a blog post about the 2.94 changes related to Terrain that may be useful to you:

http://googlemapsapi.blogspot.com/2007/12/v294-terrain-and-new-maptypecontrol-to.html

5280 Brady said...

It is useful! Thanks again, Pamela.

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher