December 5, 2007

Terrain View Added To Google Maps

I'm going to go tech on you for a couple posts...

About a week ago I started reading posts about how Google Maps has added a "Terrain" option to their lineup of map views. I took a look and instantly fell in love. This is what I've wanted for TrailCentral since I added their API a couple years ago. The only way they could make me happier is if they added topographical information to the terrain view. Then those of us that use the Google Map API for outdoor sports (specifically trail information) such as my website,
TrailCentral.com or a much bigger website, MotionBased.com will be able to offer the best level of trail detail to our visitors.

Unfortunately, the terrain view option is only available on Google Maps and has not yet been integrated into the Google Maps API. When it does, I assure you that the default map setting of the
GPS Maps on TrailCentral will be updated from satellite imagery to the new terrain view.

Here is an example of the terrain view centered on Boulder, CO:

View Larger Map

2 comments:

Pamela Fox said...

It's in the API - working on the blog post for it now. Just do:

GMap2.addMapType(G_PHYSICAL_MAP);

Enjoy!

5280 Brady said...

Pamela, You have made my week! Thank You!

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher