June 7, 2008

Climate Confusion

I'll be honest with you, I not sure what I think about global warming. When I first saw An Inconvenient Truth about a year ago I was ready to go plant a tree the moment the movie ended. Honestly, since then I've been nervous to run my lawn mower out of fear that it will cause the temperature to raise a quarter of a degree, which will in turn cause an ice shelf to break off, causing the ocean to rise, and then bye-bye coastal city.

That is a lot of guilt to live with.

What I needed to alleviate the guilt was a new perspective. It isn't fair to any subject to base an opinion on only one point of view. For this reason, I've started reading a book called Climate Confusion by Roy W. Spencer. A book about, "How global warming hysteria leads to bad science, pandering politicians and misguided policies that hurt the poor."

Unlike Al Gore's fear tactics, Roy Spencer uses humor in his writing to connect the reader with the subject. He connected with me the moment he made the following quote, "Warmer winters? Evidence of global warming. Colder winters? Also evidence of global warming. The theory of man made global warming has been elevated to physical law, proven beyond any doubt, and it supposedly now gives us a unified way to explain any change we see in nature."

In all honestly I believe that having watched Al Gore, and reading Roy Spencer I'm seeing both the head and the tail of the global warming coin. I don't think it will make my stand on the global warming issue any more concrete, but it doesn't hurt to try to understand both sides of the argument.

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher