July 2, 2008

Dangerous Roads For Commuters

For the last month I've been commuting to work by bicycle. I am like many others who have drawn the line in the dirt and now refuse to spend my hard earned money on fuel. In general I really enjoy my morning commute. It is a chance to wake up and energize myself for the day ahead. However, there is a section of road I need to ride on every day that makes me wish I was in a car; simply because the road is dangerous for cyclists.

For anyone who has gotten on their bike to commute; I'm sure one of the first lessons you learned was that not all roads are equal. In fact, some roads are darn right dangerous for cyclists.

In an attempt to better the situation I've created a Google map. A map which anyone can contribute. The purpose of the map is to highlight those sections of road that are dangerous for cyclists. My hope is that other commuters who will one day be looking for a route will be able to use this map to safely navigate to their destination.

I've started the map by placing my mark. Please, take the time to mark a section of road which you feel is dangerous and then pass this link around to all your commuter friends who can in turn mark sections they feel are dangerous. Together we aren't able to make the roads safe, but we are able to choose the safest roads to ride on.

Link to the map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114290139151454608817.0004510d06af27f328ad5&ll=39.928431,-105.139503&spn=0.088987,0.149689&z=13

View of the map:

View Larger Map

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher