July 6, 2008

Investing In My Commuter...

These past couple weeks I've made a push to revive my commuter. As many of you know I've been riding my bike to work this past month. I justified the expense of the project because of the money I was able to save from not purchasing gas for my car.

I'm glad to say this past weekend I finished the rejuvenation of my Surly 1x1. The most exciting part of the project was building the new wheels. This will be the first set of wheels I've hand built for my bike.

During this rejuvenation project I made a lot of little changes and I did it on a budget, which I'll try to post about later, but today I just wanted to highlight what I'll be riding to work on in the morning.

Work I did on my Surly 1x1:
1. New Brake Levers
2. Converted my brakes from cantilever to side-pull
3. New egg beater pedals so I can wear the same shoes on both my commuter and XC bike
4. New chain and single speed freewheel
5. Hand built front wheel. XTR hub on Mavic XC 717 rim
6. Hand built rear wheel. Surly hub on Mavic XC 717 rim

A fine looking rear wheel. Not that I'm bias because
I built it, or anything...

Surly (New Hub) on a Mavic XC 717 rim. You don't buy
a Surly hub to save weight. It is heavy, but it is durable.
Plus, it looks great on a Surly 1x1 frame...

An equally fine looking front wheel.


Shimano XTR hub, Mavic XC 717 rim.


No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher