July 8, 2008

Show Some Respect...

As I progress in years I learn more and more about myself. During a ride yesterday I realized that as a social being I tend to reflect my surroundings. Meaning, if I meet a person who is social and outgoing, I too, try to be social and outgoing. If I meet someone who treats people with a lack of respect, I too, treat that dis-respecting person with a lack of respect. It isn't something I do consciously. It just kinda happens.

The reason I bring this up is because I experienced the latter of the two scenarios as I rode my bike yesterday. I was riding my single speed on a paved road towards a trail when a fellow mountain biker passed me. We looked at each other and I smiled and said, "hello." He in turn stared at me as if I was a few cards short of a deck, proceeded to ignore me, and then passed without a word. My first thought was, "What a tool."

As he rode away I did not feel compelled to challenge the rider as I was on a single speed and couldn't if I wanted to. However, about 5 minutes later I turned onto the trail I planned to ride and I noticed that the rider was slowly pedaling ahead of me.

In no time at all I caught up with him. I wasn't interested in trying to challenge him so I just took a back seat on his wheel and paced behind him. As we started to ascend a hill I couldn't help but start passing the guy due to my gearing. He was in a low gear and I needed to keep up my momentum with my single gear. As I started to pass he realized I was there and quickly stepped it up a notch. Again, content to follow behind him I hopped on his back wheel and zoned out as I stared at his rear wheel.

As I zoned out I didn't realize I was following his rear wheel really close. As he stood up his bike slowed just a bit. Unprepared for the change in momentum I couldn't help but bump tread with the stranger. As I snapped out of my zone I heard a "brrrrraaaap" as his rear tread and my front tread rubbed.

Now, this is where I realized that I'm a mirror of my surroundings. Earlier, I had tried to be nice and was given a reflection of pure disrespect. When this happened I returned the same reflection back.

The guy looked back at me as if I had committed a sin. If he had treated me with a bit of respect earlier I know I would have been nothing but apologies when he looked back. But due to his previous nature I didn't say a word. Instead I looked at him and my expression said, "hurry up you slow sack of shit. I'm fat and slow and I can still kick your ass up a mountain."

Yesterday's interaction was a bit eye opening for me. As I said, I'm not usually conscious of my reflection towards others from others, but yesterday in that moment I was fully aware. I'm not saying I'm proud of it, but I do it none the less.

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher