February 11, 2007

Destination Moab: Nightmare at the Comfort Inn Suites

I'll be honest, I tried to save a couple bucks while planning the stay at Moab. That was a huge mistake. Note to self: You get what you pay for!

We got to the Comfort Inn Suites in Moab around 8 pm. My entire family was exhausted and ready to crash. When we walked in the front door I liked what I saw. The foyer was a nice Southwest theme with Kokopellis and lizards. I liked it. I quickly got our key and headed to our room. We opened the door and right away my wife wasn't happy.

My wife is a stickler on bathroom cleanliness and I can't blame her. I don't particularly enjoy seeing scum from someone else in an area that I'm trying to get clean in. I tried to let things slide for a while and tried to make the best of it by suggesting we go to the indoor pool. One of the requirements I had for our accommodations.

When we walked into the pool I was greeted by a barking dog. "What the hell is a dog doing in the pool area?" The owner didn't appear right away and I walked towards it. As I rounded the corner where the dog was I saw a man around 50 and what looked to be a 20 year old hooker trying as fast as they could to put their clothes back on. I turned around to my wife and son and said "Rule 1: No one goes in the hot tub!"

Once we sufficiently embarrassed the couple and they left, we looked at the pool. The pool was this cloudy brown and I could barely see the bottom. I knelt down and got a handful of the water and put it to my nose. Usually when a pool looks this cloudy it means it has too much chlorine in it. Not this pool! I didn't smell any chlorine in it! It was disgusting and I turned to my wife and son and said "Rule 2: No one goes in the pool!"

We headed back to the room and tried to take showers instead. Only one problem; the faucet didn't work and we couldn't get hot water. When I tried to call the front desk I was unable to. For some reason we just got a dial tone...

My attention went back to trying to get hot water, while my wife filled the sink to wash her face. Well, within 5 min of my wife filling the sink, all the water had drained from the sink onto the bathroom floor!

At this point my patience was done and I just wanted to sleep. Neither of us trusted that the sheets were clean. Luckily we had some blankets in the car. We brought them up and laid on those while sleeping on the bed.

My original plan was to stay in the Comfort Inn Suites for 3 nights. After the first night I woke up bright and early and asked my wife to pack while I hunted down a new hotel. I found a Holiday Inn Express and as soon as I was booked in that hotel, I checked out of the Comfort Inn Suites.

We will NEVER visit a Comfort Inn Suites again!

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher