August 2, 2008

The Power of Nice

"The Power of Nice" by Linda Kaplan Thaler and Robin Koval was the first in my recent spree of business topic books. I originally picked it up because I had been reading some pretty heavy books and I needed a light (quick) book to read - to cleans the pallet - before diving into other heavier books on my "I want to read" list. This book was sitting on my wife's nightstand and the cover alone - a bright yellow cover with a big smile on it resembling a happy face - made me think this would be the the quick, light read I needed.

While reading this book I found it to be in tune with the current culture of business. Coined as a book about "How to Conquer the Business World with Kindness.", it goes against the grain of thinking that business is a heartless cut-throat environment where decisions are based purely on the bottom line. Merit and integrity are now, more than ever, getting their fair shake in the business world. This book outlines the values of kindness and dives into case studies that supported the idea that kindness will get you further in the business world.

That being said, I feel many of the values of kindness shouldn't need to be written in a book. Personally, a book that tells you how to be nice is much like a book that tells you, "The sky is blue" and "fire is hot" it goes without saying. The reason it goes without saying is because it is a fundamental of life (a.k.a common sense).

When I finished reading I told her exactly that, I felt the book was about common sense.
She looked at me as if I should know better and sarcastically said, "Yes, but how often do common sense and business work together?" Sh
e was being sarcastic, but it is a legitimate argument.

The principles outlined in the "Power of Nice" are not new, nor ground breaking; they are fundamentals. As a child, how often did your parents tell you to be nice, play fair, be gentle with the family pet? I don't know about you, but it was at least a hundred times... per day. Thanks to my parents I've been learning how to be nice since I was learning how to walk. Being nice is a cornerstone of my foundation because my parents realized that it is a fundamental of life.

As an adult how much experience do you have at your career? 5, 10, 20 years? Now, how long have you been being nice to people? I'm guessing at least 18 years longer than your career experience. That is a lot of experience at being nice! Wouldn't that be an incredible skill set to bring into your current job?

For those who are willing to embrace this way of thinking about business it is empowering. Empowering not only in the business world, but in all areas of life because if you practice being nice at work, you are in essence practicing a fundamental of life for at least eight hours a day. This does have it's rewards.

As Randy Pausch wrote in The Last Lecture, "You've got to get the fundamentals down, because otherwise the fancy stuff is not going to work."

In the case of work, the "fancy stuff" could be the innovation, engineering, or promotions waiting to happen. In the case of personal life, the "fancy stuff" could be a thriving relationship, quality time with your kids, or whatever you want to accomplish. In any case, this book helped remind me of my own definitions of the "Power of Nice" and by relying on my fundamental value of kindness, I'm able to succeed at both work and life.

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher