January 29, 2007

I May Take a Chance with TrailCentral

I've always wanted TrailCentral.com to be a real business. However, I never knew what it took to start one. I always assumed that I needed to pool my own money and take a big risk. It wasn't until recently that I learned what venture capital firms do and how they are able to help.

At the beginning of the year I started reading a blog written by
Brad Feld who is a Managing Director for Mobius Venture Capital. While reading his blog I read about a new program they will be starting this summer called TechStars. It appears that TechStars is looking for fresh ideas in the tech industry and to find them they are staging an entreprenurial boot camp in Boulder during the summer of 2007.

Applications are being excepted until the middle of March and if chosen they will be giving $5k/founding member, up to $15k, in seed money to start the company. In addition, they are offering mentors that have started or worked for very successful tech businesses. Basically, they are giving those individuals (like me) a means to succeed in exchange for a 5% investment in the company.

I've printed out the application and I'm currently sitting on it for the time being. I love
TrailCentral and think it has a lot of potential, but does it have the potential to be a real business? I'm sure of it and I think after all these years of work, I should take a chance, give it a fair shake, and put it in front of some people that can help.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi - Glad TechStars looks interesting to you. Hint: If you don't apply, you probably won't be accepted. ;-)

David
TechStars.org

5280 Brady said...

David - You certainly have your finger on the pulse of the internet to find this post. Thanks for the comment and I appreciate the hint.

Your comment has tipped the scale and I'll take a chance with TrailCentral. Look for my application in the next couple weeks. :-)

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher