March 2, 2007

Snap, Crackle, Pop! I Visit a Chiropractor.

I've been bitching an moaning to my wife lately about feeling like a 90 year old man. The bitching doesn't fall on deaf ears. In fact, she too does her share of bitching about aches and pains and can sympathise.

We are both relatively young (No where near 90), yet we both feel like the aches and pains have really started to take a toll on our energy levels and general health.

For a while we were thinking that "maybe this is the way people our age feel." I don't think either of us bought into it, but it was the only excuse we could come up with. So lately both my wife and I have said "Bullshit, there is no way I'm going to feel like this. I'm still young!"

Today I took a baby step on the road to feeling normal and visited a local chiropractor. I've never been to a chiropractor so I honestly didn't know what to expect.

It started with a series of questions about my health. Then it time was spent evaluating my back. The Dr. seemed please and said I had a rather healthy back. However, I had some misalignment in my mid back and there seemed to be a small hip shift that she was curious about.

Apparently the hips only shift if there is a large impact. She asked if I had fallen hard enough to remember in the last couple years. I was quickly able to rattle off about a dozen different times my hips and seat bone would have had pretty hard impacts; hit by a car while riding my bike, crashing on my mountain bike about a dozen times, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think of myself as a pretty good cyclist, but as anyone who rides can tell you, the more your ride the more likely you will be to have an accident or crash on your bike.

The last ten minutes of the appointment is where the Snap, Crackle, and Pop happened. She started with my neck. A simple twist of her wrists while holding my head and I heard the loudest cracks I've ever heard, without any pain. In fact, suddenly when I got up my head felt like it was on a well greased bearing. It was wonderful.

She did some work on my mid back in hopes to realign the rotated vertebrae, but time ran out before she could adjust the lower back.

It has been about 10 hours since my visit and at first I didn't really notice a difference. However, as the day has progressed, I've really noticed small things have been a bit easier, such as being able to bend over to pick something up.

The Dr. told me that I wasn't cured, but with some minor tweaks hear and there I should really start feeling more my age. That was music to my ears!

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher