March 21, 2007

What are the odds?

I've recently undertaken the large project of updating the headers on TrailCentral.com. The old headers were not only out dated, but I added a new blogging feature that required I update the headers.

While I was brainstorming ideas about what to do with the header I simply asked my wife...
"What do you think about this? You know how the shopping area in Caesar's Palace changes from day to night every 1/2 hour? What if I did that with my website header?"


If you have ever been to Caesar's Palace you know what I'm talking about. The shopping area in the building looks like a real outdoor street and the ceiling has a sky painted on it. In the course of 1/2 hour to 1 hour the lighting changes to make it appear as though it is daytime or night. It is a really neat effect and worth stepping away from the gaming tables to check it out.

So, I wanted to implement that on my website. For the header, I wanted a photo to display that would correspond to the time of day.


Well, apparently I wasn't the only one that thought that was a cool idea. When I logged into my work station yesterday I started reading current tech news and I saw this headline: "Google adds decorative themes to home page." It goes on to read "Sprucing up its famously plain Web site, Google Inc. is offering a new option that plants its Internet search box in panoramic settings that change with the time of day and the outside weather."

Ok, Google trumped me by adding outside weather to the idea. I wasn't thinking that detailed, but I'll be damned if I was beaten to the punch by the time of day.

Well, I'll be branded a copy cat, but I'm still going to implement the time of day photo into my header. I think it will be really cool on TrailCentral!

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher