January 24, 2008

One of these things is not like the other...

Can you guess which one of the pedals in the picture is not like the other?

hmmmmmm....

Yeah, you got it! the one on the far right has all four wings and the other three pedals only have 3 wings.

No, I'm not trying to save weight by removing one of the wings on each of my pedals. Though, I'm sure this is giving some of my riding friends a good idea on how to save a few more grams...

Fact of the matter is these pedals have fallen apart with only a few months of riding and racing. Last year I ended up buying three new pairs of Egg Beaters to get through the season, making these the biggest equipment disappointment of 2007.

The strange thing is that I'm still a big fan of the CrankBrothers Egg Beaters. I love the design, I love the weight and for these reason I'm going to continue riding the pedals even though I had such a bad run of luck with them in 2007.

Besides, I've heard pretty good things about their customer service. Since I purchased these pedals within the last six month I called CrankBrothers. They said they would fix or replace the pedals so I'm please with their customer service, so far.

Although it sucks that I went through so many pair of pedals in 2007 it is good to know that I'll have a couple extra pair to fall back on 2008 if the need arise.

2 comments:

joel.white said...

You should try a set of the stainless steal eggbeaters. I've heard lots of people complain about the durability of the cheaper chromoly ones, but I have 3 pairs of stainless that have been abused for several seasons and never suffered any damage like what is shown above.

5280 Brady said...

Hey Joel,

There is a reason that people say, "You get what you pay for." I agree with your point and in hindsight purchasing three cheaper pedals sets still costs more than a single set that is more expensive.

So, the next time I have to buy pedals I'll likely step it up to the more durable steel model.

However, I'm hoping with three chromoly sets that won't be any sooner that 2009...

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher