August 11, 2007

The Power of a Team

Have you ever been a part of a team? Have you ever been a leader of a team?


When I ask these question, my intention is to find out if you have ever been on a team outside of your workplace? Being compensated to be a member or a leader of a team is completely different than being a part of a group of people that work with you because you all believe in a common goal.


I've always been a guy that hasn't asked for a lot of handouts and in the past I believed that if it is worth doing, it is worth doing alone. Now, don't get me wrong. I've always excepted help from those that offer, but I rarely asked for help. I don't know why. I think it was mostly because I didn't want to disturb those around me with my ambitions, goals, or problems.


I was recently sent an eVite from a friend that was getting married in his backyard. He had purchased a new house and the backyard was in no uncertain terms appropriate for such a special occasion at the time of purchase. However, my friend has a strong social network and he invited 17 of his friends for a day of work in his backyard. He simply offered lunch and beer as an incentive. In return he asked that trees be torn down, dirt be moved from one place to another, a large amount of ground be prepped for sod, the list went on and on.


Of those 17 people that were invited 15 showed up to work.


Over the course of a day the amount of work that was completed was almost unbelievable. There was no doubt in my mind, when I left that evening, that the yard was going to be ready for a wedding.


I try to imagine the amount of work and how long it would have taken him if he hadn't asked for help. 15 people x 8 hours = 120 hrs, which is 3 full "work" weeks of back breaking labor for a single person, done in a single day by a team of friends.


That day was a turning point in my way of thinking. Gone are the days of being a lone crusader. The idea is noble, but lets face it, it isn't the most efficient way to get things done.


I've since done a home improvement project for which I invited the friend that I had previously helped. Again, I was amazed at how quickly we were able to get the project done. The team members not only help by sharing the labor, but they also help keep the focus on the goal, while taking your mind off the work by keeping you company. The combination is amazingly simple, efficient, and effective.


I still get nervous when I step out of my comfort zone and ask for help, but that will get easier as I continue to strive towards the lead and member balance. Yes, there is a balance. You can't always be the lead and ask others to follow. At times, you need to be the follower and help others as they take the lead.


The lead role will give you a sense of satisfaction when you see your project finished. However, never underestimate the feeling of pride and accomplishment that you leave with when working on a project for someone else.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very interesting post. It is a subtle thing; the difference between a group that can work well as a team, and the all too familiar situation where it gets comprimised to the lowest common denominator, etc. When it works well, it is a great thing. On that note, let's talk Moab sometime! Are you going, do you have a team yet? bill_henderson@comcast.net

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher