August 12, 2007

Suprised To See Winter Park So Clearly In Google Earth...

Today I spent some time working on new code for the GPS mapping section of TrailCentral.com.

To test the code, I opted to upload some of the race courses that I've raced this year in Winter Park.

When I uploaded a GPX file of the hill climb, I noticed that the satellite images displayed on my web page map were much clearer than I remember.

I've visited Winter Park in Google Earth many times to try to get a feel for some of the courses, but the images of the ski mountain were extremely blurry. It was difficult to get any detail or even make out trails.

I quickly downloaded the KML file from TrailCentral to verify what it looked like in Google Earth. To my surprise, the images in Winter Park are now crystal clear. Clear enough, to get me excited about posting some more of my GPS routes in Winter Park to TrailCentral. And clear enough to be able to do some recon of the area trails.

Have fun checking out Winter Park in Google Earth!

*The image displays the course used for the Hill Climb, which is part of the Winter Park Mountain Bike Race Series.

Hill Climb Links:
GPS Map
Trail Information
2007 Race Report

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher