August 11, 2007

What I'm Reading Now... "Powder Burn" by Daniel Glick

This last week, I have been plagued with a stomach bug that has left me without energy and housebound. I figured there would be no better time than the present to crack open a book and start reading, to my wife's surprise.

My wife, who was an English major, reads books as quickly as I watch sitcoms. I on the other hand only get the urge to read about once a year, which coincidentally happens to be around the same time I get really sick and have to stay immobile. So...

This year's book is called Powder Burn by Daniel Glick. I burned through the first quarter of the book yesterday (pardon the pun) and so far it has done a fantastic job of keeping my interest. Daniel Glick, who is a journalist that writes for Newsweek, does a fantastic job of packing a lot of information into a small amount of writing.

I'm lousy at summaries, but here is what I've read so far...

Vail Associates, a company that is loaded and well hated by locals is about to make an expansion to its already large ski area during the fall of 1998. This expansion will encroach on wildlife, including the elks breeding grounds and the much needed space of the endangered lynx.

On October 19th, 1998 a series of fires destroy 12 million dollars of chair lifts and ridge top buildings. The number of structures on fire at the same time could only be the result of one thing, arson.

The question currently isn't what caused the fires, but who had the motive to start the fires. Vail Associate VPs have a long list of enemies, from disgruntled workers, pissed of locals, and extreme environmentalists.

Which leaves the question of whodunit???

Personally, I'm interested in finding out, so I'm heading to my reading spot now for a nice lazy day on the couch with my book.

No comments:

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth."
~Margaret Thatcher